Thursday, August 16, 2007

Places where the KJV follows the Septuagint over the Masoretic Text

Posting this here because I could not a find a list like this elsewhere on the net. The information is taken from the notes of the NET Bible and could be confirmed by consulting Benton's translation of the Septuagint.
I am sure it is not a complete list but it is a start. I left out KJV sidings with the LXX where no modern version reads with the Masoretic.

Leviticus 18:28
KJV-LXX: "nations"
NASB-MT: "nation"

Ruth 3:15
KJV-LXX: "then she went"
NRSV-MT: "the he went"

I Samuel 28:1
KJV-LXX: "go out with me to battle"
NASB-MT: "go out with me in the camp"

II Samuel 3:18
KJV-LXX: "I will save"
NLT-MT: "I have chosen David to save"; MT is literally "he will save"

I Chronicles 1:6
KJV-LXX: "Riphath"
NASB-MT: "Diphath"

Ezra 8:14
KJV-LXX: "with them"
NAB-MT: "with him"

Job 41:6
KJV-LXX: "banquet"
NASB-MT: "bargain"

Proverbs 13:1
KJV-LXX: "heareth his father's instruction"
NASB-MT: "accepts his father's discipline"

Proverbs 18:24
KJV-LXX: "shew himself friendly"
NASB-MT: "comes to ruin"

Ezekiel 11:13
KJV-LXX: "Ah Lord GOD wilt thou make a full end of the remnant of Israel?"
NET-MT: "Alas, sovereign Lord! You are completely wiping out the remnant of Israel!"

Micah 1:9
KJV-LXX: "wound"
NKJV-MT: "wounds"

See this paper from David Price for even more examples.

No comments: