Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Welcome Chrome!

I have made to switch from Mozilla Firefox to Google Chrome. I am getting more speed and less bloat, which are always good things. Chrome is now on version 4, which allows you to install extensions to add new features to your browser. I had tried version 3 but without extension support I couldn't jump. Now I can and it's great! Chrome still has a little catching up to do. For instance, I can't right click and reload an individual frame in a webpage. I can't turn off animation for GIF images in a webpage. And while Chrome saves my passwords, I can't have it auto login with HTTP authentication (the password boxes that pop-up). But these are minor and add-ons will probably be written soon.
It made me think about the history of web browsers. The internet has been around for a long time but the web for much less, and it wasn't until 1994 that the web went mainstream. The popular browser was Netscape until 1999. Then it was Internet Explorer until 2004. Then it was Firefox, and I think the tide is now changing again to Chrome. At this rate we can expect Chrome to be overtaken by something even better in 2014/15. We will see.

No comments: