Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Love and Postmodernism

"The biblical metanarrative offers itself as the one story which resists deconstruction, to which the criticisms of Marx, Nietzsche and Freud are not relevant. It speaks from first to last of a God who did not need to create, but who did so out of overflowing and generous love. It speaks of a God who did not need to redeem and recreate, but did so as the greatest possible act of self-giving love. The problem is, of course, that the way we have reshaped this story has turned it into a power-play of our own. But the biblical metanarrative itself is not a controlling narrative: it is a self-giving narrative. It is not a power-play; it is a love-ploy. The fact that postmodernity cannot recognize love, but insists on deconstructing it, is its Achilles heel.
[...]
"The point about love is, of course, that when I love I affirm the differentness of the one I love. Not to do so is of course not love at all, but lust. But, at the same time, when I love I am not a detached observer. I am passionately and compassionately involved with the life and being of that (whether a thing, a person, or God) which I am loving. I am fully involved in the process of knowing, but this doesn't mean it's all 'subjective', that there's nothing 'out there'. Or, to put it the other way, though I am really talking about a reality outside my own mental state, this doesn't mean I am a detached, 'neutral' observer."

-N.T. Wright, The Millennium Myth, pp.86, 88-89

No comments: