Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Generic Microwave Directions for Boxed Au Gratin Potatoes (Kroger, etc.)


From Betty Crocker. Should work with any 4.7/4.9 oz boxed Au Gratin Potato Mix. Kroger is STUPID and only put the Oven directions on their box.
  • Microwave: Quick and easy. 1. Stir potatoes with sauce mix, 2-1/2 cups hot water, 1/2 cup milk and 2 tablespoon margarine or butter in 2-quart round microwavable casserole or bowl. 2. Microwave uncovered on High 10 to 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, just until tender (sauce will thicken as it stands). Dish will be hot.
Other directions:
  • Oven directions: 1. Heat oven to 450°F. Stir potatoes, sauce mix, boiling water, milk and margarine in 1-1/2 quart casserole. 2. Bake uncovered about 20 minutes or until tender (sauce will thicken as it stands).
  • Baking tips: For easy cleanup, spray casserole with cooking spray. Use boiling water for best potato texture and sauce appearance. For 1 package, double all ingredients and bake in 3-quart casserole about 25 minutes. You can bake 1 or 1 package potatoes and roast meat in the same oven: 325°F about 55 minutes; 350°F about 45 minutes; 375°F about 40 minutes.
  • Stovetop directions: Ready in minutes. 1. Heat potatoes, sauce mix, 2 cups hot water, 1/2 cup milk and 2 tablespoons margarine or butter to boiling water in 2-quart saucepan. 2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender (sauce will also thicken slightly as it stands).

8 comments:

Keegan Frank said...

Thank you!! I can't believe Kroger doesn't include the stovetop instructions.

Erin Whitaker said...

That's so annoying that they don't have it on the box

JessieMae said...

My husband is remodeling the kitchen...can't use the stove and neither boxes of potatoes had microwave instructions!!

Marla Knaack said...

I appreciate your ingenuity. I was looking all over the place for this!!

Unknown said...

Yeah Wth is up with not having the stove top instructions!!!?! Lol such nonsense!!

SamZzz said...

Woot! Here I am.. Almost three years later to say THANK YOU!! I have a box of the julienne potatoes in my pantry I was dying to have tonight but didn't feel like heating up the oven when it's just me here for dinner this evening. I love Kroger to death but this oversight is just plain silly.

Carol Bolt said...

Thanks looked everywhere for this!

Chris Steiner said...

It's not Kroger that does thr packaging of the product. It's the actual company/ brand. Where I live there is not a Kroger anywhere in my state that I know of but my boxes also don't come with microwave instructions either.